Is it possible to change job parameter based on each record

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

akash_nitj
Participant

Is it possible to change job parameter based on each record

Post by akash_nitj »

Hi
Is it possible wherein we can change the job parameter based upon each of the input record.

To be more specific i have scenario wherein i want to do join of input A with input B. For each record in the input A i need to fire specific query to fetch records for B, which i will then be use for join.

Any suggestions on how to go about it?

TIA
Akash
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No.

It is simply not possible to change the value of a job parameter while the job is running.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
s_boyapati
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Is it possible to change job parameter based on each rec

Post by s_boyapati »

akash_nitj wrote:Hi
Is it possible wherein we can change the job parameter based upon each of the input record.

To be more specific i have scenario wherein i want to do join of input A with input B. For each record in the input A i need to fire specific query to fetch records for B, which i will then be use for join.

TIA
Akash
If both Input A and Input B in Database, use join query in paralle extender to get performance. If not you better to create temp tables in DB to do that. If you are not sure what distinct values you get from input value set and size for Input A, you must use DB concepts. that makes easy to test the application too.
s_boyapati
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Is it possible to change job parameter based on each rec

Post by s_boyapati »

s_boyapati wrote:
akash_nitj wrote:Hi

TIA
Akash
If both Input A and Input B in Database, use join query in paralle extender to get performance. If not you better to create temp tables in DB to do that. If you are not sure what distinct values you get from input value set and size for Input A, you must use DB concepts. that makes easy to test the application too.
If both sources in flat files and value sets are big, you better consider sorting and matching and query generation can be done in Shell scripts an AWK. If not in flat files, but in DB you can consider generating, running an sql queries from shell and AWK( data dump in flat files), linked to DS as after or before jobs routines also an optional. I don't about your env.