Metadata mismatch

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sathyanveshi
Participant

Metadata mismatch

Post by sathyanveshi »

Hi,

I'm trying to run a parallel job from a Oracle table to another Oracle table on the same database. For two of my columns, the data type in Oracle is NUMBER. While importing metadata, the data type that I could see in the DataStage is Decimal (38,10) and while running the job, I face the Warning "Oracle_Enterprise_0: Column TYPE_ID floating point decimal not fully supported. Adjusting scale." I was told by many that this warning can be ignored as it is a bug in the DataStage.

I have a concern here. I was also told that if we keep ignoring the warnings, the DS Log file may reach 2GB which in turn may affect the UniVerse and the DataStage itself will be brought down and it may force a reinstallation of the system.

Can any one let me know whether ignoring the warnings (which are necessarily due to bug in DataStage 7.0) will impact the UniVerse?

Please throw more light on this. If you need mor information, please let me know.

Cheers,
Mohan
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You would never need to reinstall, only to clear the log file that had become corrupted by an attempt to exceed 2GB.

Writing all those entries will, of course, slow your throughput, but they will not otherwise "impact the UniVerse".

Ideally, you can change your metadata within DataStage after it's been imported, so that the warnings do not occur.

Another possibility is to identify the job number, and pre-empt the 2GB limit by resizing the log file (RT_LOGnnn) so that it can grow larger than 2GB.

Code: Select all

RESIZE RT_LOGnnn * * * 64BIT
ideally while the log file is, or is nearly, empty.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

The log messages can be managed via Administrator to contain only the past few logs (either by days, or by runs.)

This warning message would usually only occur once per partition per operator.

It is not exactly a bug in DataStage. It is a behavior that Oracle forces upon DataStage with their non-standard use of Number/Decimal for EE compared to other companies.

The latest version of DataStage allows you to convert that warning message to an Info message, and/or suppress it completely.