Clearing log file from Unix

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vinodlakshmanan
Participant

Post by vinodlakshmanan »

How can I clear the log file from Unix? This is because the size of the file has become huge and takes a lot of time to open in director. Alternatively, can I get to know the RT_LOGnn file corrsp to a job so that I can clear it from administrator.
Integrity is what you do when no one is watching
Sunshine2323
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Sunshine2323 »

Hi!

SELECT * FROM DS_JOBS; To get the job id.-----executed from the Administrator

TO DELETE LOG FILES:

CLEAR.FILE RT_LOGxxx; where xxx is the job id.-----executed from the Administrator

Hope this helps, :)

Also u can do a search on the same. You will get plenty of material to read.
Warm Regards,
Amruta Bandekar

<b>If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z, X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut. </b>
--Albert Einstein
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Biggest thing to realise is that when you do this to a log file - the CLEAR.FILE clears everything from the log. Not just the log entries but the control records as well, so you'd lose any Auto-Purge settings you may have had and would need to reestablish those after doing so.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You do not need to have the log view open in Director to clear a job's log file. You can clear the log with the job selected in status view. Of course it still takes a while, because it is a selective deletion, but you don't have to wear the overhead of opening log view.
:idea:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.