Configuring PX with ssh

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

SureshRP
Participant

Configuring PX with ssh

Post by SureshRP »

Hi,

I'm trying to setup user environment on Linux platform to run parallel jobs (Datastage ver 7.5). As per security policy i do not have the option of rsh without a password and need to use SSH. anybody dunnit b4 ?

thanks in advance.
lgharis
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by lgharis »

Did you get any information on how to do this? I got a response from Ascential support saying that this has been done but they do NOT support it. They gave me information on how to do it but said do not call them with questions about making it work or if it breaks.

If you have gotten this to work I would be interested in hearing any opinions on how stable it is. As a matter of fact I would be interested in hearing experiences with SSH from anyone.
Leroy Gharis

Dallas, TX
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

This is only relevant if you are speaking of DataStage being run on multiple servers/processes. RSH is only used for this purpose, as far as I know.

In order to make it work, you need:

1. Script experience
2. Time.
3. Lots of Jolt.

Go to this directory:

Code: Select all

... Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine/etc/
Back up the following file, and open up the backed up copy:

Code: Select all

distribute-component
Figure out what is being done there, and tweak accordingly.

The very minute you edit and use that file, you LOSE your Ascential Support. Every single time you have a bug, you must verify the bug with the original copy of that file before reporting it with Ascential Support.

Of course, if you do know what you're doing, you should be just fine.
timsmith_s
Participant

Post by timsmith_s »

Dear lgharis,

Would you mind posting the approach you used or sending to me in a private message? TIA
fridge
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by fridge »

another way that could work - but not exactly tidy is to symbolically link the rsh exe to ssh

e.g. ln -s /usr/bin/ssh /usr/bin/rsh (or what ever paths)

Have seen this implemented before - but still provides the support issues mentioned above