Sequential operator cannot preserve partitioning of parallel

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rsrikant
Participant

Sequential operator cannot preserve partitioning of parallel

Post by rsrikant »

Hi,

I am getting a warning message while validating my job. I am writing the trailer records into a sequential file using tail stage and i am getting this datastage warning:

Sequential_File_12: When checking operator: Sequential operator cannot preserve partitioning of parallel dataset on input port 0

Please anybody throw some light on this!!!

Thanks in advance!!!
Srikanth Reddy
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Anything that requires sequential file I/O is limited by the operating system to a single writing process. (This is not a DataStage limitation.) The warning is issued to alert you to the fact that your design may introduce a processing bottleneck.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rsrikant
Participant

Post by rsrikant »

Thank you
leo_t_nice
Participant

Post by leo_t_nice »

Also, this warning is caused by a preceeding stage having the "Preserve Partitioning" flag set to "Propagate". This is the default value, and tells PX that it should attempt to maintain a partitioning method. Obviously the sequential stage can't preserve the partitioning. If this option is set to "Clear", the sequential stage wont report a warning (i dont like to see warnings if i can stop them :D )

Hope this helps a bit.
rsrikant
Participant

Post by rsrikant »

Hi Leo,

Thank you for the fix. No warnings are coming after changing the preceeding stage "Preserve Partitioning" flag to "Clear".

Me too don't like to see warnings as long as they can be avoided. :lol: :lol:

Thanks anyway.

Srikanth
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I agree. Particularly in a production environment you should ensure that there are no warnings.
Then, when there are warnings, they are truly indicative that a problem has occurred that needs investigation. By this means I once discovered that "they" had changed the format of the source file without telling anyone (14 characters in one field rather than 12 - suddenly the job threw a data truncation warning).
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

Hi

Any way changing Preserve Partitioning" flag to "Clear” it will not give any warning but during the production run u will check with same setup b'cus all the job running through Job Sequencer, the same job calling from jobsequencer check the warning.
varshanswamy
Participant

Post by varshanswamy »

I would like to know if there are 2 outputs from a single input one output leading to a sequential file other to a dataset, then how is it possible to solve the problem, because the entire partitioning is eliminted
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

Partitioning is NOT eliminated.

It is just a matter of:

"If you need to repartition this data, feel free."

instead of:

"You can not repartition this data."

Sequential stages must repartition, so that's why you got the warning when you told it (by default) to not repartition, and you got ignored. (How rude!)

It is still being done in parallel.
olgc
Participant

Post by olgc »

leo_t_nice wrote:Also, this warning is caused by a preceeding stage having the "Preserve Partitioning" flag set to "Propagate". This is the default value, and tells PX that it should attempt to maintain a partitioning method. Obviously the sequential stage can't preserve the partitioning. If this option is set to "Clear", the sequential stage wont report a warning (i dont like to see warnings if i can stop them :D )
The problem is some stages don't have this option, such as DB2 Connector to reject link. Without this option to clear, how do you clear this warning?The warning is so obvious, why it produces this warning? It looks so dummy.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Try clearing in the immediately upstream stage.