Two versions on same AIX LPAR

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DatastageCoEUser
Premium Member
Premium Member

Two versions on same AIX LPAR

Post by DatastageCoEUser »

Hi All,

Our customer has two instances of v8.7 installed in different folders (not LPAR) of an AIX 6.1 system. He has XL C/C++ compiler v11.1 running on this environment. He wants to upgrade the second instance to v11.3
1) Can i have v8.7 and v11.3 existing on the same LPAR ? Can jobs in both instances run at the same time ?
2) Is it officially supported by IBM ?

Thanks
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I think you may playing with fire in that scenario. The products are very sensitive to having the exact combination of operating system version and compiler version and their patch levels being in place in order to function correctly. What I have seen is that you can take the operating system version and level higher than what is required, but on AIX in particular, you cannot apply that same logic to the compiler version, patch level, or PTF level, else DataStage jobs will abort in a number of unusual ways. You really must pour over the Detailed System Requirements on the ibm.com web site to be sure. If you can stand up both instances using supported prerequisites then it would be supported by IBM. Please be forewarned that there are some other nuances you will hit as well if you go that route.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius