How to continue to increment a number

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ScottDun
Participant

How to continue to increment a number

Post by ScottDun »

I currently created a job that creates a number for every entry into a table. The number will start at 5000 and will increment per provider. So if a file has 10 providers, it will be 5000-5009. If I run this same file again (or if there is a new file) I want it to start at 5010. How do I go about this?

http://imgur.com/a/jDfii
SCOTTDun
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Non-specific answer - persist it. That or run SQL against the table to get the current max value + 1 and pass it into the job as a parameterized starting value.

ps. You really should be using meaningful names for your stage variables.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
naveenkumar.ssn
Participant

Re: How to continue to increment a number

Post by naveenkumar.ssn »

Hi

If you have a database , then you can place a column as count and load the highest record count in the table and then read the column with max count +1 ..or if you dont have a database create a file and the load the max count value in it along with a dummy join column(name it as 1) .use a join stage and then read the seq. file as reference.

Both will work !!

Regards
Naveen
Naveen Kumar
Datastage Consultant
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The database itself probably supports a structure called a SEQUENCE that you can invoke to generate the numbers, usually via a property called something like NEXTVAL.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.