Best Practice replacing transformer with multiple input link

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dominique_walker_gm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Best Practice replacing transformer with multiple input link

Post by dominique_walker_gm »

I have several server jobs that have transformers with multiple input links . I am converting the server jobs to parallel jobs where multiple input links are not allowed in the transformer stage.

So my question is what is the best practice to replace multi-link transformer stages when converting to parallel jobs?

I also want to note that these jobs are also going from 8.7 to 9.1.

If there is any other advice you all feel I should know when convert from server to parallel please add it. It may benefit me in the future.

Thanks!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Technically, Server jobs also allow only one primary input link, any others must be reference links to lookups. As you've seen, those reference lookups are replaced by specific Lookup stages in Parallel jobs. As for best / standard practices for Parallel jobs, you should probably download this free IBM Redbook on that very subject.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
dominique_walker_gm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dominique_walker_gm »

Thank you for your reply, I understand that they are reference links but a transformer in a parallel job does not support reference links. So I was just curious of what would be the most efficient method to replace those transformers.

Also if you could give some insight as to why parallel transformers don't support reference links.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As already noted, you replace the lookups the transformer is doing with Lookup stages. Seems to me there's no need to replace the transformer itself unless the only purpose it is serving in your Server job is to perform the lookups.

As to the why, PX is a different philosophy and was developed by a different company before being acquired and folded into the product line. Rather than having a limited number of stages with the transformer being the "Swiss Army Knife" you basically have one stage per function in PX.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You might like to investigate the Server to Parallel training available from the DSXchange Learning Center (a commercial site).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.