Convert Char to Integer in transformer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

arvindj
Participant

Convert Char to Integer in transformer

Post by arvindj »

Hi All, I have a job in our project. Job reads a flat file into sequential file and load that to a table. Transformer stage is used in between.

Input file has a column of Char(1), Emp_type and incoming values can be "P" or "T" only, for Permanent and Temporary employees. Now client want us to covert that "P" to 1 and "T" to 2 and load that to table. Earlier we were just passing T and P to table.

Please let me how this can be achieved. I'll really appreciate, If someone can provide exact code to perform this, as I'm new to Datastage
Regards,
Arvind
ppalka
Participant

Post by ppalka »

The easiest way is to use transformer stage and use such derivation on output column:
if Emp_type='P' then 1 else if Emp_type='T' then 2 else -1
Best regards,
Piotrek

Polish DataStage consulting company:
<a href="http://www.etlpro.pl">ETL PRO</a>
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

or you can use convert function to do character by character replacement. Read the documentation if you don't know how to use this function.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Or you could use a lookup in a Modify stage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.