DB2 Extract Performance

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shank
Participant

DB2 Extract Performance

Post by shank »

Hello All,

I have a simple EXtract job from DB2 wherein we need to dump the entire table into a flat file.

Currently I am using DB2_Connector Stage (DB2 Connector --> Copy Stage with Forced Option =True --> Sequential File ) and am able to write around 23K records per second in the target Sequential File.

Is it is the maximum performance I can get in Datastage ?

I have some tables which has 65 Million records in them and they are taking 1 hour each to get extracted.
Our goal is to complete a table extract in 15- 20 minutes.

Is there any better way to do this ? Please suggest
Regards,
Shank
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Try using Table Read method in the DB2 Connector.

The Sequential File stage uses STREAMS I/O, so should not be a bottleneck. Rows/sec is a meaningless metric since we don't know how wide your rows are.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Your job type says server but you mention the Copy stage. If it is actually a parallel job then you could run it on a different number of nodes to improve the extract performance. It still writes your text file sequentially.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

qt_ky wrote:Your job type says server but you mention the Copy stage.
Corrected.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers