Job hangs when the data has spaces

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

svipul16
Participant

Job hangs when the data has spaces

Post by svipul16 »

Hi ,

Parallel job is hanging if the input data has spaces in it.If i remove the spaces the the job runs fine.I think it is hanging at the funnel stage.

Does anyone had this issue before?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What is the data type?
Are they genuine spaces (0x20) or something else?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
svipul16
Participant

Post by svipul16 »

Data type of the field is char(20).They are genuine spaces.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

0x20 as space characters are used, successfully, in just about every DataStage job that reads text files; so in your case you must be doing something out of the ordinary.
The only real way to progress is to make a copy of the job and iteratively add or remove stages until the error either goes away or starts - depending on whether you start with a minimal job which works (i.e. read a sequential file and write it to a peek stage) or the "hanging" job and removing stages until it works.

What makes you think that the funnel stage is involved? Also, does the job "hang" by being in a running state forever while you can see the processes on UNIX and they are using 0% CPU?