Stage variable not holding NULL value

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jweir
Participant

Stage variable not holding NULL value

Post by jweir »

Hi all,

I am having trouble with NULLs and stage variables. I will lay out my three stage variables below:

svCurrSSNEqPrevSSN:

Code: Select all

DSLink2.SSN = svPrevSSN
svDeptID:

If IsNull(DSLink2.DEPT_ID)  And svCurrSSNEqPrevSSN Then svDeptID Else DSLink2.DEPT_ID
svPrevSSN:

If svCurrSSNEqPrevSSN Then svPrevSSN Else DSLink2.SSN
I then assigned in my derivations the column of DEPT_ID to the stage variable svDeptID. What the code above does is if the current record's SSN equals the previous SSN and the current record's DEPT_ID is NULL then the DEPT_ID column equals the svDeptID variable. If it does not meet that criteria, it will assign the svDeptID variable equal to the current value of DEPT_ID.

My crux is when the DEPT_ID field is NULL for say 3 records of the same SSN, the first record will have NULL in DEPT_ID, however the next two records have blank.

My question is why are the last two records blank instead of NULL? Why is it when I assigned the svDeptID variable to itself it will not hold a NULL and just defaults it to some value?

Thanks in advance.
Jweir

--- If strength were all, tiger would not fear scorpion.
jweir
Participant

Post by jweir »

It appears that the second and third rows are being set to the default value, which in my example I did not set a default, this the second and third rows having blank. But why would it take the default value?
Jweir

ssnegi
Participant

Post by ssnegi »

svDeptID :

If IsNull(DSLink2.DEPT_ID) And DSLink2.SSN = svPrevSSN Then svDeptID Else DSLink2.DEPT_ID
svPrevDeptID :

if Trim(svDeptID) = '' then SetNull() else svDeptID
svPrevSSN :

DSLink2.SSN
jweir
Participant

Post by jweir »

Not sure how this would work. It seems like I would run into the same problem as before when trying to assign multiple rows with NULL in DEPT_ID.
Jweir

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yah, I don't really see this as a situation where you just throw code up against the screen and see what sticks. I would much rather have seen James's question answered or at least addressed in words rather than just seeing that posted.

Sorry, I don't have a proper answer for you or I would have posted something and also have no way to play and try to puzzle this out using DataStage. Hopefully someone can explain the behavior you are seeing. Any plans to put this in front of your official support provider?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
MT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by MT »

Hi jweir
jweir wrote:It appears that the second and third rows are being set to the default value, which in my example I did not set a default, this the second and third rows having blank. But why would it take the default value?
we experienced the same bug - by the way already in DS 8.5.
Contact IBM support.
regards

Michael
jweir
Participant

Post by jweir »

MT - if you experienced the same issue, what did you do to resolve it?

chulett - there has been some type of a workaround developed. Code is below. And I plan on contacting IBM tech resources then support.

Following Changes were done:
Stage Variable: svDeptID Data Type Changed to VarChar

Existing Derivation:
If IsNull(Ln_srt_Sort.DEPT_ID)  And svCurrSSNEqPrevSSN Then svDeptIDElse Ln_srt_Sort.DEPT_ID

Changed to:
If IsNull(Ln_srt_Sort.DEPT_ID)  And svCurrSSNEqPrevSSN Then svDeptID Else NullToValue(Ln_srt_Sort.DEPT_ID,' ')

Out Put Column:
DEPT_ID, leave data type as it is

Existing Code:
svDeptID

Changed to:
If svDeptID = ' ' Then SetNull() Else svDeptID
Jweir

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'm assuming their resolution was a patch to correct the behavior but that wouldn't explain why it is still an issue in your version.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jweir
Participant

Post by jweir »

My assumption as well chulett. I will contact IBM resources and if I get a resolution, I will update the thread. I will set post as WORKAROUND.
Jweir