Decimal to String

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Ezapa
Participant

Decimal to String

Post by Ezapa »

Hello,

The source is SQL server Database.
Col1 - Decimal(18,2),Null ;Col2 - Decimal(18,0),Null .
The target is a Sequential file.

Job Design:

ODBC stage--->Transformer--->Sequential file

The requirement is :

Source data

Col1 - 400.00 ; Col2 - 20

Target expected data

Col1 - 400.00 ; Col2 - 20

But when I am trying to extract the data for Col1 ,Col2 with Datatype as Decimal ,the leading zero's are being populated i.e. 0000000000000400.00 .Then I used Decimal to string(col1,''suppress_zero'') in Transformer stage, the result is suppressing the zero's after the decimal point too i.e. 400 . But I need to get 400.00

Am I missing something?
-Thanks
Ezapa
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Double check the data type of your target column to make sure it is a string, like varchar, then it should suppress the zeros. If it is still set as a decimal type then it would explain the zeros you're still seeing.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
ssnegi
Participant

Post by ssnegi »

Code: Select all

DecimalToString(Field(DSLink.COL,'.',1),"suppress_zero"):'.':Field(DSLink.COL,'.',2)
This will remove only the leading zeros and keep the trailing zeros.
Ezapa
Participant

Post by Ezapa »

Thank you for the response.I used the Field function and its working as expected.
-Thanks
Ezapa
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Just to confirm, the suppress option works as expected on version 8.7 (tested). Field function is not necessary. Am wondering why it doesn't work as expected for others.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
ssnegi
Participant

Post by ssnegi »

The suppress option removes all the leading and trailing zeros. The user wants only the leading zeros to be removed...not the trailing zeros.
If the value is 00400.00 the suppress option will make it 400. The user wants 400.00
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

To clarify, the "suppress_zero" option removes only non-significant zeroes; that is, those to the left of that part of the decimal number to the left of the decimal placeholder and those following any non-zero digits to the right of the decimal placeholder.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Ah, I missed the whole point about the zeros after the decimal; had only noticed the complaint about leading zeros.
vamsi.4a6
Participant

Post by vamsi.4a6 »

ssnegi wrote:

DecimalToString(Field(DSLink.COL,'.',1),"suppress_zero"):'.':Field(DSLink.COL,'.',2)
This will remove only the leading zeros and keep the trailing zeros.
Col1 is decimal data type in the source.is field function is valid on this column?
Thanks and Regards
Vamsi krishna.v
http://datastage-vamsi.blogspot.in/
ssnegi
Participant

Post by ssnegi »

Yes field function can be used to extract from a decimal keeping the decimal point as the delimiter.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ssnegi wrote:Yes field function can be used to extract from a decimal keeping the decimal point as the delimiter.
Interesting... and all these years I thought the Field() function only worked on delimited strings.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

ssnegi wrote:Yes field function can be used to extract from a decimal keeping the decimal point as the delimiter.
Not true. Observe the solution, in which a decimal placeholder was explicitly concatenated.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ssnegi
Participant

Post by ssnegi »

I used a row generator to generate a decimal with specs 25 (length 10, Scale 5)
Then I applied the transform in the transformer.

It gave the result in a Varchar column: 25.00000
In another field defined as varchar I used the derivation :

field(DSLINK.COL,'.',1)
It gave the result : 00025
In another column I allowed the original value to flow through.
It gave result in a decimal column: 00025.00000
So the field operator does use the . as delimiter for extracting from a decimal.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

But not "keeping the decimal point". The Field() function never keeps the leading or trailing delimiter.
ssnegi
Participant

Post by ssnegi »

The statement in its entirety is below :
"keeping the decimal point as the delimiter."
This translates to using the decimal as the delimiter in the field function.
Since the field function does not retain the delimiter I have concatenated the decimal point into the string.