Warning while deleting dataset by Job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pavi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Warning while deleting dataset by Job

Post by pavi »

Hello Team,

I am getting a warning while I am running the job.

When deleting data set <DataSET Descriptor File.ds>, previous delete attempt not complete; removing <DAATSETDescriptorFile.DS>.being_deleted in order to proceed.

But when I re run the job it finishes with out warning.I do fear that when this code goes to prod it will be difficult to re run.

How to remove this warning?

Thanks!
Pavan
pavi
Premium Member
Premium Member

another warning after the previous on

Post by pavi »

<DATAFile>,0: Could not delete descriptor file: <Descriptor file.ds>
filesystem related error
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Do you have write permission to the parent directory of the Data Set descriptor file? You need rwx permission to a parent directory in order to be able to delete any of its contained objects.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pavi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pavi »

We have write permission.If I run the job second time it finishes with out warning and there is no pattern regarding the warning.
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

This can occur if you run out of tmp space while DataStage is in the middle of deleting a dataset. As the message indicates, a subsequent run will clean up the partially deleted dataset.

No need to do anything to remove the warning since it would only re-occur if you run out of tmp space in the middle of another delete operation.

Just make sure you have adequate tmp space.

Mike
Klaus Schaefer
Participant

Post by Klaus Schaefer »

I faced this error once having a corrupted dataset afterwards. I was able to delete the dataset with the dataset manager. Having done so the job then ran fine creating a new proper dataset.

Klaus
pavi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pavi »

When datastage deleted the descriptor file and datafiles,does it directly deletes the files from its location or it moves the files in to some tmp space and deletes them?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

They are deleted directly.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
pavi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pavi »

Admin had increased the Ulimit from 1000 to 10000 which resolved this issue.Thanks to all for looking into it and providing your thoughts.