DB2 Connector

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Curious George
Premium Member
Premium Member

DB2 Connector

Post by Curious George »

Hi All,

I have a Parallel Job which has an input Sequential Stage which feeds data to a DB2 Connector Stage which updates a table.
In the DB2 Connector Stage in the Partitioning tab the Collector Type is specified as 'Auto'.
Please let me know if the DB2 Update would run in parallel or in sequential mode. If it runs in Parallel mode please let me know what is the partitioning method it would use.
The DB2 table is partitioned on a particular column.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard.

If it runs in parallel it will use the DB2 partitioning algorithm.

If you should wish to enforce this, set the execution mode to parallel and the partitioning algorithm to DB2 - you will be prompted for the name of the table that defines the partitioning.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
MT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by MT »

Hi,

you will see if the DB2 Connector already runs in parallel looking at the partitioning icon.
I recommend to use "DB2 Connector" partitioning within the DB2 Connector - which is different to "Auto" but will provide the correct partitioning if your target is a DB2 DPF (partitioned database).

Partitioning of "DB2" is old and was used for the DB2EE stage and no longer valid for DB2 Connector.
regards

Michael
Curious George
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Curious George »

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your reply.

Hi MT,
My job flow is below:
Sequential File --> DB2 Connector
I saw the partitioning icon in the link which flows from the Sequential file to DB2 Connector and it shows the symbol wherein data is converging into the DB2 Connector.
I opened the different tabs in the DB2 Connector Stage and checked the Stage page and in that there is no Advanced tab for DB2 Connector stage. It is present for other stages which shows the information:
Execution Mode:
Default(Parallel)

I don't have access to view the job score or anything like that.

Thank you.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If what you say is true then your Sequential File stage is running in parallel, which seems doubly odd. Are you sure you're not seeing a "fan out" icon, which indicates partitioning rather than collecting?

You do have access to view the score. Request the score be logged using the APT_DUMP_SCORE environment variable as a job parameter, then look in the log for an entry of the form "This step has one dataset".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
MT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by MT »

Hi Curious George
I opened the different tabs in the DB2 Connector Stage and checked the Stage page and in that there is no Advanced tab for DB2 Connector stage. It is present for other stages which shows the information:
Execution Mode:
Default(Parallel)

I don't have access to view the job score or anything like that.
There is an advanced tab like in the other stages but you have to click in the stage symbol in the ICON in the upper left corner once the connector window is open.

Unless you specified multiple readers per node when reading the file - I agree with ray it seems a little strange what you described and I would have a look into the score as Ray suggested.
regards

Michael
Curious George
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Curious George »

Hi Ray/MT,

Thanks a lot for your response. I checked as per the input provided by MT. It shows the Execution Mode parameter as 'Sequential'.

Thanks for your valuable inputs.