Error converting string to date

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sshettar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Error converting string to date

Post by sshettar »

Hi All,

I am aware that this issue has been discussed before , but since i am facing the issue even after handling blank or null values.
I am reading a file that has been sent to us from the source system and i am reading the date fields as character of length 8.
in the transformer before loading into the Oracle table where the filed sits a date field , i am doing a convert function where i have handled both Null blank and zero values before i apply the convertion function .
below is the derivation i am using:

Code: Select all

If ((Trim(Lnk2XFM.FLD1) = '') Or (IsNull(Lnk2XFM.FLD1)) or (Trim(Lnk2XFM.FLD1) = '00000000')) Then SetNull() Else  StringToDate(Trim(Lnk2XFM.FLD1),"%yyyy%mm%dd")
But what i am facing is few records are getting dropped which doesnt show up on the director but for one warning that it shows as below

XFM,3: Conversion error calling conversion routine date_from_string data may have been lost.

I tried debugging cause the file had few more date fields , i kept adding one filed after the other and figured that this one particular date field is causing and issue.

the values that i am seeing for this field are as follows
either nulls or 00000000 or a valid date in the format YYYYMMDD.

Any help is greatly apprictaed in identifying the issue as i seem to be lost .

Thanks in advance
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

"99999999" would take the Else clause of your If statement. You need to add an IsValid() or IsValidDate() test as well.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sshettar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sshettar »

Sorry i misread your response, so are you suggesting that i instead convert the blanks nulls and 0000000s to 999999999 and then do a isvalid to test?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No. There's not need to convert. The IsValid() test will intercept any invalid values.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.