APT_STRING_PADCHAR

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

leomauer
Premium Member
Premium Member

APT_STRING_PADCHAR

Post by leomauer »

I am creating the test dataset using the row generator and RCP.
When I have APT_STRING_PADCHAR set to 0x20, the schema of my test dataset is like
record
( field: string[10];
)

But when I set it to 0x020 the schema becomes what I expect:
record
( field: string[10,padchar=' '];
)

And yet evrybody is saying that the value should be 0x20.
Can anybody tell me what should be the corect value of APT_STRING_PADCHAR for padding the string with spaces?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

0x20 is the ASCII code for the space character (32 in decimal). Therefore what you are seeing is correct.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
leomauer
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by leomauer »

That is what everybody say, and yet according to my example in the post, it is acts as though 0x020 is the right setting.
Any other opinion?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In any number base 20 and 020 are the same value.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
leomauer
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by leomauer »

And again, the fact is the fact. Different "spelling" of the same value produces the different results.
It may not be about the value, but how DataStage interprets this in it's internal code. All I witness that the results are different.
I am still waiting. May somebody run test on their system, see the result and comment on it?