XML Input Stage - Cannot Process data

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

reachmexyz
Premium Member
Premium Member

XML Input Stage - Cannot Process data

Post by reachmexyz »

Hello all,

I have a sample xml file like
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<data>
<Customer FirstName="abc" Lastname="efg" >
<Address>
<Address1 State="CA" country="USA" >
</Address>
</Customer>
</data>

I am trying to process as
sequentialfile---->xmlinput---->seqfile

But the job always complain of structure error.
When i look carefully
<Address1> do not have a closing tag
Firstname, lastname, state and country also do not have a closing tag but these tags are part of Customer and Address which do have ending tags.

Can DataStage this king of file which is missing Ending tags.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Why should it? No other XML parser can.

Demand well-formed XML from your provider.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

make sure you can open the xml in your browser. If you cannot, then it is not well formed.
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
reachmexyz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by reachmexyz »

Actually i am able to open the xml in the browser and so it should be a well formatted xml file.

But i am not sure how to process these records with no end tags.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Why start by not post your "structure error"? That an confirm that you have accurately posted the sample XML in question.
Last edited by chulett on Fri May 10, 2013 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
adityavinay
Participant

Re: XML Input Stage - Cannot Process data

Post by adityavinay »

Use XML Stage(XML Parser) instead of XML input..
XML Input stage works only if you have open and close tags in one record.(it assumes to process record by record)
If your XML data is allover in a file.. XML parser is the stage that can parse the data for you.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

both xmlInput and xml Stage work the same way regarding valid xml. Every tag must have a closing tag. Chances are, there is a typo in the thread up above and Address1 is actually

<Address1 stuff="xxx" morestuff="xxx" />

Without the '/', (as shown in the thread above) the xml is entirely invalid and cannot be read by any tool, let alone DataStage.

Assuming it is valid, read this in xmlInput by using:

/.../.../(whatever number of nodes you need to reach Address).../Address1/@stuff

/.../.../.../Address1/@morestuff

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
reachmexyz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by reachmexyz »

DataStage error is:

APT_CombinedOperatorController,0: Fatal Error: Fatal: XML input document parsing failed. Reason: Xalan fatal error (publicId: , systemId: , line: 1, column: 1): Invalid document structure
Xalan fatal error (publicId: , systemId: , line: 1, column: 1): Invalid document structure

Also the data posted above is correct. Address1 do not have an ending tag but i am able to open the file in browser.

My understanding is that, when an xml can be opened in a browser, it can be considered as a well formed XML and can be processed by any XML parser and even DataStage xml parser.

I will try formatting the file by adding closing tags and see how it goes..
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

I'd like to know what browser you're using....and then encourage you to change it. It needs to receive an error. It's entirely "non-well-formed" xml if <Address1 is left open. Same string in the thread above blows up in both my copies of IE and firefox, as it should.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
adityavinay
Participant

Post by adityavinay »

reachmexyz wrote:DataStage error is:

APT_CombinedOperatorController,0: Fatal Error: Fatal: XML input document parsing failed. Reason: Xalan fatal error (publicId: , systemId: , line: 1, column: 1): Invalid document structure
Xalan fatal error (publicId: , systemId: , line: 1, column: 1): Invalid document structure

Also the data posted above is correct. Address1 do not have an ending tag but i am able to open the file in browser.

My understanding is that, when an xml can be opened in a browser, it can be considered as a well formed XML and can be processed by any XML parser and even DataStage xml parser.

I will try formatting the file by adding closing tags and see how it goes..

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<data>
<Customer FirstName="abc" Lastname="efg" >
<Address>
<Address1 State="CA" country="USA" >
</Address>
</Customer>
</data>
I feel like Address1 doesnt even have any open tag. If you observe it caefully.. "Address1 State="CA" country="USA"" is the data for Address tags. Customer have a closed tag but no open tag. Please fix it and give a try.