DB2_Connector scenario

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sriec12
Participant

DB2_Connector scenario

Post by sriec12 »

I need a guidance on DB2.

I need to get several tables information from Mainframs DB2 (via DB2Connect .....I am not sure what it is). Our Database is ORACLE. The DB2 tables are in different server.

I need to recommend approach for our team how to get information to your database.

For this scenario: DB2_Connector (DB2 UDB) does it works ? so many says its possible only with ODBC stage. I am confused on this.........Please some one guide me on this.

Thanks in Advance.
MT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by MT »

Hi sriec12,

it is possible to connect to DB2 on zOS (Mainframe) with the DB2 Connector and I would suggest this as well.
The point is that for every DB2 connection (via DB2 Connectors) you need the DB2 client (free) installed on your DataStage server. DB2 Connect is an additional (or alternative component as it includes the DB2 client as well) component which enables you connecting to DB2 zOS. This is need in DB2 from a license perspective.

So this gives you following alternatives in my eyes:
1. DB2 Client -> DB2 Connect (kind of a gateway) -> DB2 z/OS
2. DB2 Connect (including the client) -> DB2 z/OS
Starting at your DataSage server in both scenarios.

Hint: always try to connect to DB2 from command line first to have a good test for the setup.
regards

Michael