SCD Stage Operators

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

SCD Stage Operators

Post by rameshrr3 »

Does anybody have an idea of what operators are combined for the SCD stage ? Something tells me it uses a combination of lookup and transform operators , but it could also be change capture( with a possible interface to a Generator operator perhaps) . Does anybody have an in-depth understanding of this stage ?

What would be the effect if I disabled combination for this stage?

Thanks
Ramesh
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The easiest way to find out is to look at the score for that job.

Then, maybe, you can report your findings back to us.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

Correct . But Im afraid my job wouldnt compile to get me that far - if it used a transform operator. We have a problem since our xlc compiler ( AIX) is a trial version and expired.:(
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

An Update : Yes i found much to my dismay it does use a transform operator . I tried compiling a job with SCD stage
and here's the error I got

Code: Select all

##W IIS-DSEE-TBLD-00000 17:29:56(012) <main_program> Error when checking composite operator: Output from subprocess: sh: /usr/vacpp/bin/xlC_r:  not found.

##I IIS-DSEE-TBLD-00079 17:29:56(013) <transform> Error when checking composite operator: /usr/vacpp/bin/xlC_r   -O   -I/datastage/IBM/InformationServer/Server/PXEngine/include -O -q64 -c /datastage/IBM/InformationServer/Server/Projects/CVM_Dev/RT_BP671.O/V0S1_Test_SCD2_Slowly_Changing_Dimension_1.C -o /datastage/IBM/InformationServer/Server/Projects/CVM_Dev/RT_BP671.O/V0S1_Test_SCD2_Slowly_Changing_Dimension_1.tmp.o.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Range lookups also compile to transform operators.

I'd suggest that you need to get a compiler licence.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

Yes, I heard you on the range lookup issue also. Another place where a compiler is a must would be the custom compile flags in the lookup stage.

The compiler license is being checked with IBM. (point to ponder : Looks like the compiler licensing is also based on number of individual cores within a single processor )

That raises an interesting question ( some may consider this off topic) - Does Orchestrate parallelism recognize cores for partitioning data and does it internally execute instructions in parallel on a single processor with multiple cores ?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's got nothing to do with cores. It's a logical concept not a physical one. so it's not tied to the processor type or number.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Cores relate only to licensing ("processor value units").

Nodes, and therefore partitioning, are driven purely from what's in the configuration file. As Craig notes, these are a logical concept.