Slowly Changing Dimension Stage - size limitations?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ArndW
Participant

Slowly Changing Dimension Stage - size limitations?

Post by ArndW »

I'm not in a position to test this directly and didn't have any luck with a search so I'll ask the question here:

Is there a 2Gb limit to the reference data to to SCD stage? Our source and reference data will be in excess of 5Gb but the documentation indicates an in-memory table is built which makes me think along the lines of the lookup stage and it's inherent memory limit.

Does anyone know for certain that this limit does, or does not, exist?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Isn't that limitation based on the "bitness" of the software? 2GB only in the 32bit version?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Yes, but if the stage was written to support larger amounts of data it could, even with a 32bit pointer, get around this limitation (writing to disk, for example). If it uses the old lookup-stage functionality then I'd be "SOL".
allavivek
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by allavivek »

I think the reference data is loaded in to memory as lookup stage, but based on purpose codes. The amount of data gets loaded in to memory depends on purpose code settings.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Would it make any difference if your reference data were partitioned three or more ways, so that any one process had less than 2GB of reference data with which to deal?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

If it uses the same code as the lookup stage, then the 2Gb limit wouldn't be affected by the number of processing nodes. I guess we'll have to code an example and see if it blows up on us. Once we have a result I'll post it here.