Change Data Delivery

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

abhijeet266das
Participant

Change Data Delivery

Post by abhijeet266das »

Hi

Can you please let me know how does a Change Data Delivery Product work with Datastage.We need to provide an estimates to the customer.I only know this is a product of IBM infosphere

Thanks
Abhijeet
Abhijeet
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There are a number of ways in which it can work. Typically changes to the database are captured by reading the transaction log (though triggers can also be used); these changes are placed onto an MQ series queue and a Change Data stage in DataStage can read from that queue.

I have no idea what kind of estimates your customer requires.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

... or how you can provide estimates for something you have no experience with or knowledge of. :(
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
abhijeet266das
Participant

Post by abhijeet266das »

Thanks Ray.I am not a premium member so not able to view the content.
@Craig..Yeah i understand but i have been forced to do a poc on the same within a week and come up with the estimates after that for which i need to understand how it works.
Abhijeet
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Official information is here on the off chance you haven't seen it yet. The link is for Change Data Capture and there is another link to the Change Data Delivery product near the bottom.

Why not engage IBM or other consultancy that specializes in things like Proof of Concepts and is familiar with the product? All forcing someone like you to do this will result in (and this is no knock on you) is failure, I'm afraid.
-craig

BI-RMA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BI-RMA »

Now, just to understand this a bit better. Your customer asked you to prepare a proof of concept for a technology you haven't got a clue about - within one week. :?

So you are going to present an estimate about some whatsoever after this week. What exactly is this going to prove concerning the overall concept?

Let me quote one of Ray's favourites: "Resist stupid requirements."
"It is not the lucky ones are grateful.
There are the grateful those are happy." Francis Bacon
rsripathy
Participant

Post by rsripathy »

ray.wurlod wrote:There are a number of ways in which it can work. Typically changes to the database are captured by reading the transaction log (though triggers can also be used); these changes are placed onto an MQ ...
Is there difference between,,, Change Data Delivery & Change Data Capture ? If so what ?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

rsripathy wrote:Is there difference between,,, Change Data Delivery & Change Data Capture ? If so what ?
See the link in my previous post.
-craig

vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

What do you mean when you say "provide an estimate to the customer" - do you mean the cost of buying, installing or implementing? For buying Change Data Capture is priced on the size of each source and target database using a PVU calculation. Change Data Detection is the same technology but is priced on the size of the DataStage server that data is replicated to with unlimited source databases. As a rule of thumb CDC is the better license for up to three source systems and CDD becomes cheaper when replicating more than 3 databases.

For installing CDD is technically easy to install and politically a minefield. It can take a week to install but it can take six months to convince a team of DBAs that it should be installed and will not cause harm, and your DBAs need to know how to optimize database logging.

In terms of implementing it provides data integration at a fraction of the cost of ETL for data synchronisation when used correctly. If you want to stage data from a source system you can configure and bring multiple tables in just an hour or two. CDD requires a solution architect so you work out how it should be used and how it fits in to Warehouse layers.
abhijeet266das
Participant

Post by abhijeet266das »

Thanks a lot gentlemen for the assistance on the same.I got the product installed and carried out a poc on the same.i am confident now.Sorry for the delayed response.
Last edited by abhijeet266das on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abhijeet