Convert String to Timestamp

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

imfarhan
Participant

Convert String to Timestamp

Post by imfarhan »

Dear All,

The data which coming from source is varchar2 = '2010-01-25' yyyy-mm-dd
I like to convert into Timestamp I've tried following function but seems not working

Code: Select all

svApptDate =

if IsValid("date",SCH_N_Referral_Delta.FIRST_APPT_DATETIME,"%dd-%mm-%yyyy") then StringToDate(SCH_N_Referral_Delta.FIRST_APPT_DATETIME,"%dd-%mm-%yyyy") else ' '

svApptDateFormat =
   TimestampFromDateTime(svApptDate,'00:00:00')
I've also tried passing the format on svAppDate to

if IsValid("date",SCH_N_Referral_Delta.FIRST_APPT_DATETIME,"%yyyy-%mm-%dd") then StringToDate(SCH_N_Referral_Delta.FIRST_APPT_DATETIME,"%dd-%mm-%yyyy") else ' '
The error i'm getting is
Invalid value for this date type: **********.
Appreciate your help
Farhan Syed
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

Try using the correct format string in your IsValid() and StringToDate() calls. You show the data format to be yyyy-mm-dd but you specify dd-mm-yyyy in the functions :?:
The data which coming from source is varchar2 = '2010-01-25' yyyy-mm-dd

if IsValid("date",SCH_N_Referral_Delta.FIRST_APPT_DATETIME,"%dd-%mm-%yyyy") then StringToDate(SCH_N_Referral_Delta.FIRST_APPT_DATETIME,"%dd-%mm-%yyyy") else ' '
Also, assuming svApptDate is a Date datatype, why not give it a default date value in the else logic? ' ' is not a valid date, ultimately giving you the error you're receiving.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
imfarhan
Participant

Post by imfarhan »

Thanks jwiles I changed it and it works

Similarly , I would like to change varchar into integer because need Lookup againt the key which is integer

So the source fields (Pat_key = varchar2(10)) = Ref_table (Patk_key = integer)
I was tring to use STringToDecimal() but I don't want to keep decimal values I though there should be function for StringToIntger() but couldn't find
Appreciate help
Regards
Farhan
Farhan Syed
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The conversion for VarChar() to integer is implicit and doesn't need to be explicitly programmed through a function. If the VarChar() contains values that aren't convertable to integer then you should use an "IsValue('int32',Input.Column)" to ensure that no values are dropped or warnings are issued.