Writing data to pipe using External target stage.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

allavivek
Premium Member
Premium Member

Writing data to pipe using External target stage.

Post by allavivek »

Hi All ,

I am trying to write data to pipe using external target stage.

But i am finding difficult in writing the syntax for writing to pipe in "Destination Program" property.

What was the syntax to populate input columns to pipe ?

I tried just giving pipe name but its reporting error.

Thanks
Vivek
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

When writing DataStage should not be able to detect a difference between that and an sequential file target. What is your error message?
allavivek
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by allavivek »

Well, When i am running the job by just giving pipe name as file name,Job was getting hung.

On the server side i did opened pipe using cat<pipename but nothing coming through.

Vivek
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

When you write to a pipe you need to have a listener as well, otherwise the job will hang - pipes are just buffered areas and when the buffer fills up the writer process waits until the buffer frees up.

You can make a dummy named pipe reader by opening up a command line window / session and entering "cat [pipename]". This will just echo whatever is written to the pipe to the screen, and will terminate once the pipe writer process (DataStage) finishes.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Why not use a Sequential File stage? These have a property that allows them to read from or write to named pipes.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.