Modify Stage Help

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

clmhwybe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Modify Stage Help

Post by clmhwybe »

I'm a newbie on datastage. I am currently trying to get data from a seq. flat file pass to the modify stage and output it into a dataset file. For some reason I can get it to run without warnings but you know how the links glow Blue then Green when it runs and completes. Well I only get that blue to green going into the Modify Stage but nothing happens at all going out of the modify stage as if nothing was put into the output dataset file BUT when I go view data the data is there in the file. Even when I go into director and monitor it says the Modify stage is ready and basically hasn't even done anything to put the data into the dataset file. What could be the reason why I'm not getting the full green links for the output when it completes.
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

What you are seeing is likely a result of how the parallel engine (Orchestrate) optimized the job's execution when it was run. What you see in Designer as the Modify stage can be attached to the stage after it at runtime, effectively becoming a part of that stage and eliminating the need for the link between them. This in turn causes there to be no runtime information for that link and you see no counts in Designer or Director/Job Monitor for it (because it doesn't exist at runtime).

You will see similar results when the parallel engine removes Copy stages at runtime during the optimization process.

I wouldn't spend time worrying about this. Instead, concentrate on verifying that the records in your dataset have been correctly modified and that the counts are correct.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
clmhwybe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by clmhwybe »

Thanks for the explanation!