Exporting nullable field without null handling properties

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pragb
Participant

Post by pragb »

Hello All,
In one of my job I am using Netezza enterprise stage as target and I am getting the error mentioned below.

Now I know this error may come for sequential file,and i know how to solve that,but I never expect this in Database level.
The fields are nullable still its giving me this error and I have tried editing row and add null handler ,but I couldn't see that option inside the column level.
Can you please help.
Many thanks in advance.
srinivas.g
Participant

Post by srinivas.g »

Apply null handling in transformer level..........
Srinu Gadipudi
chandra.shekhar@tcs.com
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by chandra.shekhar@tcs.com »

In your sequential file, use the property Null Field Value to specify it.
By doing it, you specifiy the value given to a null field if the source is set to null.
Thanx and Regards,
ETL User
smleonard
Participant

Post by smleonard »

I'm going to expand on this question, as I'm having a similar issue.

Our job sounds the same - it is writing out to a Netezza Enterprise stage. In Netezza, the field is a varchar, and is nullable. In DataStage, the field is defined as nullable. However, when the job runs, it complains of the same issue:

When checking operator: When validating export schema: At field "fieldname": Exporting nullable field without null handling properties

Now, to make this more interesting, it's only happening in one of our three environments. In production & test, the job runs fine, and in dev, the job was previously running fine, but is no longer. We recently applied Fix Pack 2 to dev, and I'm wondering if this has now caused this issue.

I will likely open up a PMR, but I wanted to add my two cents to the conversation and see what you thought.

Thanks,
-Sean
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Were I the support analyst for this PMR I'd ask for the complete error message so that I could determine which stage was actually throwing the error. For example it might be a Sequential File stage somewhere else in the job design. It's really important to extract all possible information from error and warning messages.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

You should switch to the newer Netezza Connector stage.

When you choose the ET (External Table) load method within the Netezza Enterprise stage, the external table is a seqential file that I believe utilizes the standard export operator. I didn't see any properties in the Netezza Enterprise stage to influence its external table creation.

As possible workarounds, you could alter the target table to have all NOT NULL columns or you could use a different load method. I didn't try either of these workarounds since I went with the new connector stage instead.

Mike
smleonard
Participant

Post by smleonard »

Ray,

Naturally, of course I am providing the full information, job export, etc to the PMR support analyst. It is not a sequential file though, it's actually occuring when writing out to the Netezza Enterprise stage.

Mike,

Yes, I know the Netezza Connector is supposed to be better. We semi-recently switched all of our code to Netezza, and it was during our conversion work that the Connector was made available. So our warehouse code is using the Enterprise stage, while our mart code is using the Connector. I think the plan is to gradually upgrade our jobs to Netezza Connectors whenever changes are made.

We are using the nzload method, rather than the ET method. And yes, the target table has not null defined on the fields is complains about.

I'll report back if we get a patch to fix the issue.

Thanks,
-Sean