Surrogate Key with included Effective Date

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ke.rstin_
Participant

Surrogate Key with included Effective Date

Post by ke.rstin_ »

Hi everybody,
due to foreign keys which I have to consider in my core dwh, I need a combined surrogate key which consists of the "surrogate key id" + the effective date. I have to realize that via the SCD stage of DataStage.

I either get an error for violating constraints or too little data is stored.

Do you have any ideas for me or do you know if this is possible so far with this approach in the SCD stage at all?

Best regards,
Kerstin
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

Generate your surrogate key and the concatenate with whatever date within a transformer. You could generate the SK within the transformer as well and use one less stage in the job.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
ke.rstin_
Participant

Post by ke.rstin_ »

I'm not sure if I got you. The idea with the transformer afterwards sounds good but I'm scared it doesn't prevent from generating a new sk id within the scd Stage... It's not easy to handle :/
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

If you need to control when a new surrogate key value is created, use a transformer to generate the surrogate key using the NextSurrogateKey function in a stage variable derivation with appropriate if-then-else logic.

Do your business rules dictate that multiple records will have the same surrogate key value and are differentiated by the date value you are adding to the end of the SK?

Regards,
- james wiles

SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SURA »

After i saw your thread, just i modified my job to see how the Datastage is responding to it! Just i concatenated something(Date) but it is not consider that concatenation and the reason is, SCD is just getting the next value from somewhere. So You need to write a procedure to handle this in such a way!

That procedure can called inside the SCD.
Thanks
Ram
----------------------------------
Revealing your ignorance is fine, because you get a chance to learn.
ke.rstin_
Participant

Post by ke.rstin_ »

Thank you for your ideas so far.

@ jwiles: Yes, unfortunately I HAVE to use the same SK with another date because of foreign keys. That makes using the SCD stage not really simple.

@ SURA: You mean a stored procedure where I check if an update happens and if yes, I keep the SK? I'm asking this (perhaps silly) question, because I've never written one in DataStage before. How do I have access to the values of DataStage or do you mean using a database instead of SKF-files?

Thanks,
Kerstin
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SURA »

Yes, SCD stage will identify the new records and if so, it will fetch the new SKEY otherwise pass the old.

You need to write a Stored Proc in DB.
Thanks
Ram
----------------------------------
Revealing your ignorance is fine, because you get a chance to learn.
sreewin7
Participant

Post by sreewin7 »

Hey ,

I am just adding the with "jwiles" comments and i gone through ur post, u can use "KeyMgtGetNextValue('xyz')" in the transfer stage and concate with today timestamp.

As you mentioned you are using in foreign key s.key, u can call the same "KeyMgtGetNextValue('xyz')".

Example
KeyMgtGetNextValue('xyz') -Call in the stage variable and concate with the output column.

Sura & jwiles :- correct me if any thing wrong in my answer.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

sreewin7 wrote:u can use "KeyMgtGetNextValue('xyz')" in the transfer stage
James has posted the correct parallel function to use when generating surrogate keys in the Transformer (not transfer) stage, you've just mentioned the Server / BASIC equivalent.

ps. People don't really need to ask for their answer to be corrected if anything is wrong - don't worry, it will be. No asking required. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

kerstin is trying to do this within the/for use by the Slowly Changing Dimensions stage (my eyesight had misread SCD as SK originally). My answer may not be relevant for his needs unless the key could be generated/regenerated after SCD...?

Regards,
- james wiles

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's Kerstin who is seeking a solution, not U (another of our posters).

The second person personal pronoun in English is spelled "you".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ke.rstin_
Participant

Post by ke.rstin_ »

Thank you for so many replies :)
The concatenation is not really what I need, by saying "combined surrogate key" I meant that I have two fields which build together the PK. One is the ID (generated Surrogate Key Value) and another is the FromDate.

As soon as I get a new data record with the same business key, I have to generate a new entry with the same ID but another FromDate (Effective Date) and ToDate (Expiration Date). (That's not how SCD should work according to Kimball, I know, but that's how the customer wants it to work...)

My explanations are sometimes a little bit misleading, I'm sorry for that ;)
ke.rstin_
Participant

Post by ke.rstin_ »

Let me show you an example how it should look like

Entry on 08.07.2012:
ID FROM_DATE TEXT
1 08.07.2012 A

Entry on 09.07.2012:
ID FROM_DATE TEXT
1 08.07.2012 A
1 09.07.2012 Ab (new entry)

ID + FROM_DATE = SK