Data masking

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Noozeethullah
Participant

Data masking

Post by Noozeethullah »

Hi all, This is about encrypt the data for given particular data.

For ex: I have 5 columns: Cust_Name, Address, Amt, designation and DOB. From the above 5 columns i need Cust_Name and Address data to be encrypted. I use 8.1 version. How I can achieve it in DS?
Sahana
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Welcome.

First off, masking is completely different from encrypting. Secondly, you need to tell us encrypted how? Were you given any requirements as to the nature of the encryption you need to do? Or do you in fact need to mask it?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

IBM offers an Optim Data Masking Pack for DataStage 8.7, which will do such masking out of the box, while maintaining relationships across tables. That is an add-on option that is new to version 8.7 (and higher). You can do some simple masking on your own, such as with Convert() functions, but those are not likely to pass any security tests or approvals.

If you truly need to encrypt data, then you can use some third party encryption tool at your company or develop your own, and call either one from DataStage jobs. As far as I know there is not a built-in function readily available for encrypting/decrypting your data, although the encrypted parameters do this internally.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's really easy to encrypt data if you never need to decrypt it. For example, in 8.7, a 128-bit encryption utility is provided. But your requirement has not been made clear.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Noozeethullah
Participant

Post by Noozeethullah »

Thanks craig,Eric and Ray. Encyrption done by unix script by unix team. Thanks once again for swift reply.
Sahana