How to find memory/resource utilisation by a job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Hema.k
Participant

How to find memory/resource utilisation by a job

Post by Hema.k »

Hi All,

We are facing some performance issues.
Initially we had some jobs in PROD envt due to the performance issue we moved some jobs (say 4) to UAT envt.
There was no issues in UAT before moving the jobs from PROB.
After we migrated the jobs , we are facing some performance issues in UAT.

Could anyone let me know how to find the job which is utilising the memory/resource more than the other jobs or how to find
the resource/memory utilised by a particular job.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Hema K
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

The traditional method involves running/monitoring standard Unix commands while running your 4 jobs in question, one by one, in a stable, controlled environment (no other jobs running). Commands can vary depending upon your flavor of Unix/Linux.

Commands include vmstat, iostat, mpstat, top, topas, sar.

Use the man <command> command to read the manual page on any command during your telnet session.

If you are not familiar with the commands given, you can seek Unix admin help in monitoring and interpreting the results.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

In addition to what Eric has suggested, you can also check out the project environment variables in the reporting category. APT_PM_PLAYER_TIMING is particularly useful for finding cpu hogs. APT_PM_PLAYER_MEMORY may be useful for you as well. Be sure to use APT_DUMP_SCORE so that you have a frame of reference for the reported items.

I like to include a ps_Reporting parameter set in every job so that these useful environment variables can be turned on as needed (exception being APT_DUMP_SCORE which I have on at the project level all the time).

Mike
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

My suggestion is to use the "generate operational metadata" option. This collects operational metadata into XML files that can be loaded into your metadata repository and analysed and reported on using Metadata Workbench.

You can also use DataStage's internal Performance Analyzer. Again you have to enable collection of performance data, and you can view the performance data graphically and generate reports from DataStage Designer.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Hema.k
Participant

Post by Hema.k »

Hi All,

Thanks for your suggestions.
I will check the same.

Regards,
Hema K
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

It is very difficult to tie the run stats from a job to vmstats. We automated this once but even the SQL was a bunch of between joins on timestamps. Very ugly stuff. There is a freeware UNIX utility to get vmstat output as snapshots for every so many seconds. It puts it into a comma delimited file which is easy to load into a table. Just need to tie the EtlStats tables to this new table with RAM usage and system wait times. Preston did some nice bar graphs with job names and CPU, RAM and disk io bar graphs. Very cool. It was several years ago not sure I can remember the details. But it turned out great.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

nmon is another one...
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

nmon was it.

Preston is cool. Leave him alone.
Mamu Kim