How to encrypt a file in datastage?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

partha.natta
Premium Member
Premium Member

How to encrypt a file in datastage?

Post by partha.natta »

The files that we are generating in datastage, is it possible to encrypt them before sending it to downstream.Actually we are generating some .txt file windows environment.Now the users wants those files as encrypted to maintain tha data level security.
Thanks & Regards,
Partha
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What about using an encode stage?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Encode stage appears to be limited to "data sets" but I haven't used it in production. I think they mean virtual data sets. The documentation is lacking a good example.

I ran a test with the Encode stage on a txt file and the test job ran OK. It requires a UNIX command that accepts input from standard input and writes results to standard output.

Check with your security department to find out which encryption programs are acceptable there. You could also use before and/or after job subroutines to shell out to the OS and call the encryption/decryption program that's external to DataStage.

For transmitting files over an encrypted communication channel, you can configure the FTP Enterprise stage to use FTPS. I have done that in a production environment from a Unix server after configuring security certificates.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius