filepattern - reading list of files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mekrreddy
Participant

filepattern - reading list of files

Post by mekrreddy »

Hi I have a file list which contains list of files to be read using sequential file with same metadata. Using file pattern, Can I just use the file name which contains the list of files to be read. and extract the data?

file_list.txt --> datafile1.dat
datafile2.dat

In other words, I have to use only the file_list.txt to read the data files. Please advise.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, file pattern means you'd need to supply a wildcard pattern that would match all of the files you'd want to process, not a specific list of filenames. Typical solution for a 'list of files' would be a looping Sequence job that runs a single job once per filename.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I prefer the transformer looping to the wildcard approach as you can then log to a control table the names of the files you have processed and the success of that processing. If you use the wildcard approach and the job aborts half way through you have no idea which of the files have been processed.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I usually prefer to do this looping in a controlling sequence.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Sorry - when I said Transformer looping I meant Sequence looping! Wrong looping.
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

The file pattern option allows you to also specify a file containing a list of files, or a shell command which will return a list of files.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
pandeesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pandeesh »

In Sequential file stage?
pandeeswaran
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yup. Crap, how did I miss that? It's right there in black and white pixels in the documentation of all places:

File Pattern: Specifies a group of files to import. Specify file containing a list of files or a job parameter representing the file. The file could also contain be any valid shell expression, in Bourne shell syntax, that generates a list of file names.

To make matters worse, there's no "they musta just added that in the 8.x release" - I just found the same text in the 7.x docs as well. D'oh.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Worth logging in today. Learned something.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

Careful, you'll make me feel like I accomplished something...
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
Kryt0n
Participant

Post by Kryt0n »

I knew I had read about it somewhere but when I looked at the sequential file stage I was expecting a "Filename file" kind of option but could find nothing so gave up. Certainly didn't know about it available in 7.x... thought it was something new in 8.5!
Satwika
Participant

Post by Satwika »

Hi,

Can you please ellobarate on this. I tried to read from a file which contains the list of file names but it's not considering the columns in the listed files.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Please explain for us what "considering the columns" means. If by that you mean that it doesn't respect the "First record is column names" setting for any but the first file, that's a known limitation when reading multiple files using any of the available mechanisms. Unless they've managed to fix that rather silly issue and you mean something else entirely...
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Does the metadata in the link properties mention these columns that it's "not considering"?
Satwika
Participant

Post by Satwika »

[quote="chulett"]Yup. Crap, how did I miss that? It's right there in black and white pixels in the documentation of all places:

File Pattern: Specifies a group of files to import. Specify file containing a list of files or a job parameter representing the file. The file could also contain be any valid shell expression, in Bourne shell syntax, that generates a list of file names.

Hi chulett \ray

Good morning:

As per chulett, I have created the file which contains the list of file names and those files have the same metadata. And I created job which having :

Sequential file (File pattern and the file name which have file names) --> Tfr --> Sequential file.

Now I'm tring to load the data from the listed files. The job is not performaing as expected (Means it's not loading the data properly). It just taking the file names as values and outputing the same file names.
Now, i think you guys can understand the issue. Please clarrify me in this . Thank you....