What is difference between uvodbc.ini and .odbc.ini?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

Hi

which one is using Data direct?

Thanks
Man
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is no uvodbc.ini and there is a .odbc.ini. That's the main difference.

Assuming that you mean uvodbc.config, then the two files both exist and have different but complementary roles to play.
  • .odbc.ini is used for defining ODBC data source names (and specifies Data Direct or other drivers)

uvodbc.config specifies whether each data source name uses an ODBC driver or uses UniVerse driverless interface (though still using ODBC protocol)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

The uvodbc.config file is also available per DataStage project to list ODBC data source names in (I suppose Universe too), to make DSNs available within each project (visible in drop down menus, for example, on importing ODBC table definitions). I usually add DSNs in each project's uvodbc.config file and leave the DSEngine directory's uvodbc.config file alone.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chandra.shekhar@tcs.com
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by chandra.shekhar@tcs.com »

This type of data connectivity is always from ODBC. if you want direct connectvity then you have to use database native connectivity (Database Catalog).

In odbc.ini file you wil find al types of data connectivity DSN with properties and in UVODBC.config file you will get DSN names only which you want to populate in each project.

UVODBC.config file is not common for all project while odbc.ini file is common for all project.

Thanks
Thanx and Regards,
ETL User
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I'm not sure why you quoted me, but I will quote you back to respond to one statement... :lol:
chandra.shekhar@tcs.com wrote: if you want direct connectvity then you have to use database native
The original topic question was about DataDirect, the company that creates the ODBC drivers bundled with DataStage/Information Server/several IBM products. It looks like they were acquired by a company called Progress. For now, they're still called DataDirect ODBC drivers and referenced directly by the .odbc.ini file.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

qt_ky wrote:I'm not sure why you quoted me
Because the 'Reply with quote' option is oh so conveniently positioned right up where you can't help but click on it. You'd be shocked how many people don't think there's any other option. But that keeps me off the streets - part time Moderator and part time Janitor, cleaning things up on DSXchange... a double-post here, an unnecessary quote there, something filed in the wrong in-box... my work is never done. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers