Import fixed width file schema

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vskr72
Premium Member
Premium Member

Import fixed width file schema

Post by vskr72 »

I have a schema file like this for a fixed width file. This is just a sample.

Code: Select all

ODW_TYP			1	2
BANK_NBR		 3	5
ACCT_NBR		  6	17
AAS_ACCT_TYP     18	23
AAS_IND			24	24
The schema file has more than 300 columns. Is there any way that I can import this metadata directly into datastage without manually entering all the 300 cols. Any inputs or alternatives. Pls advice?

Kumar
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
This fixed file was created by some other program there for the creator must have the file definitions file.
assuming this is a file built by a cobol program it should have a copy book or copy member that defines it.
If you get the definition file you should be able to import it and get the table definition you need.
IHTH (I hope This Helps),
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: Import fixed width file schema

Post by ray.wurlod »

vskr72 wrote: Is there any way that I can import this metadata directly into datastage without manually entering all the 300 cols.
Possibly, possibly not. If what you're seeking is something that will read a file of column names and start and end positions, and convert that into a DataStage table definition, then you're out of luck. Though it would be a reasonably easy routine to write for someone experienced with the repository structure of a table definition.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vskr72
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vskr72 »

Thank you everyone.