Conversion of string to Timestamp

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kogads
Premium Member
Premium Member

Conversion of string to Timestamp

Post by kogads »

Hello there,

I have a fixed width file coming with one of the field( Char(8) ) having a date format
eg:20111122 and it has some empty values too.I have to load it to Oracle table as Timestamp which is NULLABLE and when i imported the table definitions to datastage it is imported as Timestamp with scale=6 and no length defined

I am doing a TrimLeadingTrailing of that column and used the below code

if Column='' then SetNull() else StringToTimestamp(Column:'00:00:00',"%yyyy%mm%dd %hh:%nn:%ss")

But, this is throwing me an error
Warning:::1.APT_CombinedOperatorController,0: Conversion error calling conversion routine timestamp_from_string data may have been lost
Fatal:::2.oracle_enterprise_stage,0: Failure during execution of operator logic.
Fatal:::3.oracle_enterprise_stage,0: Fatal Error: Invalid time

I tried replacing the oracle enterprise stage with a sequential stage for output, then the job ran successfully with a warning
APT_CombinedOperatorController,0: Conversion error calling conversion routine timestamp_from_ustring data may have been lost
kogads
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kogads »

I just tweeked with a peek stage and i have seen that the column is generating ******************* value. I have seen the input file and no value for that column has any such records
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You've omitted the space at the beginning of the constant time portion.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kogads
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kogads »

So, instead of
if Column='' then SetNull() else StringToTimestamp(Column:'00:00:00',"%yyyy%mm%dd %hh:%nn:%ss")

I need to specify
if Column='' then SetNull() else StringToTimestamp(Column:' ': '00:00:00',"%yyyy%mm%dd %hh:%nn:%ss")

Tried the above but the job aborted with Fatal errors below
Oracle_enterprise_stage,0:Failure during execution of operator logic.
Oracle_enterprise_stage,0:Fatal Error: Invalid time
main_program: Unexpected exit status 1
karthikdsexchange
Participant

Post by karthikdsexchange »

Use the following code..
If (IsNull(Column) Or Column = '') Then SetNull() Else StringToTimestamp(Column:' ' :'00:00:00',"%yyyy-%mm-%dd %hh:%nn:%ss")
Karthik
Make It Work Make It Right Make It Fast
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Can you show a small variety of examples of your input?
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius