floating point decimal is not fully supported

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

phanikumar
Participant

floating point decimal is not fully supported

Post by phanikumar »

Hi,

I am just having a following warning when i am trying to run my job.

Column BATCHNUMBER floating point decimal is not fully supported; adjusting the scale.

I tried to import the columns from database which has a data type of number(38,10). Once the columns are being imported the data type turns in to decimal(38,10) and i am doing a type conversion from DecimalToString.The job ran fine but the warnings persist.I tried to look on to the previous forums but can't find the exact answer.Can somebody point me in the right direction.

Regards

Kumar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Read any of the IEEE monographs on storage of floating point numbers. All of them tell you that it can't be done - what's possible in a digital computer is at best a compromise. DataStage chooses to alert you to that fact whenever you use float or dfloat data types.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
phanikumar
Participant

Post by phanikumar »

I finally managed to get rid of these warnings by implementing cast function from the input column.

Synatx : CAST(i/p col AS VARCHAR2(50))colname

Regards

Kumar