PATH env Variable

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pavan_test
Premium Member
Premium Member

PATH env Variable

Post by pavan_test »

Hi All,

I have a job that has been aborting recently and when I verified in the datastage director I find PATH environment variable is trying to read from 2 different databases.

I verified dsenv file but i could not find any anomalies. Can someone please suggest me where else I can find the PATH environmental variable set up in datastage.

I find this in the datastage director;

PATH=/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/Projects/Project_name/wrapped:/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/Projects/project_name/buildop:/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/Projects/project_name
/RT_BP207.O:/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/DSComponents/lib:/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/DSComponents/bin:/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/DSParallel:/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server
/PXEngine/user_osh_wrappers:/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/PXEngine/osh_wrappers:/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/PXEngine/bin:/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/DSEngine/bin:/opt/IBM
/InformationServer/Server/PXEngine/etc:/usr/bin:/etc:/usr/sbin:/usr/ucb:/usr/bin/X11:/sbin:/usr/java5_64/jre/bin:/usr/java5_64/bin:/opt/subversion/bin:
/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/bin:/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db/bin:/usr/lpp:/bin:/bin:/bin:/bin:/bin:/bin:/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db/bin:/usr:/usr/vacpp:/usr/vacpp/bin

Thanks
Mark
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Can you clarify what you meant by "I find PATH environment variable is trying to read from 2 different databases"? The path is just an ordered list of directories to search, it doesn't "read" anything. If you are concerned about two entries in the PATH, it will use the first one that it finds a match in, anything of the same name in the later directories will (in essence) be ignored.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
pavan_test
Premium Member
Premium Member

PATH env variable

Post by pavan_test »

I was looking at the ETL director log for the jobs that aborted. Then I found,

PATH=/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/Projects/Project_name/wrapped:/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/Projects/project_name/buildop:/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/Projects/project_name
/RT_BP207.O:/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/DSComponents/lib:/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/DSComponents/bin:/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/DSParallel:/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server
/PXEngine/user_osh_wrappers:/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/PXEngine/osh_wrappers:/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/PXEngine/bin:/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/DSEngine/bin:/opt/IBM
/InformationServer/Server/PXEngine/etc:/usr/bin:/etc:/usr/sbin:/usr/ucb:/usr/bin/X11:/sbin:/usr/java5_64/jre/bin:/usr/java5_64/bin:/opt/subversion/bin:
/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/bin:/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db/bin:/usr/lpp:/bin:/bin:/bin:/bin:/bin:/bin:/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db/bin:/usr:/usr/vacpp:/usr/vacpp/bin

I find these values :/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db/bin and :/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db/bin in the PATH from datastage director.

can someone please suggest me where can I find since it appears from datastage director the jobs are trying to read from 2 databases. I verified the dsenv and i find ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db;
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=:/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db/lib:/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db/jdbc/lib
TNS_ADMIN=/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db/network/admin
PATH=$DSHOME/bin:$APT_ORCHHOME/bin:$APT_ORCHHOME/etc:$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin

Thanks
Mark
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: PATH env variable

Post by chulett »

pavan_test wrote:PATH=$DSHOME/bin:$APT_ORCHHOME/bin:$APT_ORCHHOME/etc:$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin
This statement takes your current PATH and puts three directories onto the front of it and one on the back - your Oracle 11g home bin, which explains how the second one got there. You need to look elsewhere to see where PATH is originally being set, that will have the 10g home in it, I would wager.

Whichever one you want to be using, you either need to make sure it comes first in the list or that it is the only one listed.
-craig

pavan_test
Premium Member
Premium Member

PATH env variable

Post by pavan_test »

ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db;
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=:/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db/lib:/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db/jdbc/lib
TNS_ADMIN=/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db/network/admin
PATH=$DSHOME/bin:$APT_ORCHHOME/bin:$APT_ORCHHOME/etc:$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin

CLASSPATH=:/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db/jdbc/lib/classes111.zip

except classpath everything else is connecting to 11.2.0 database.
classpath is connecting to oracle 10.2.0 database. I believe this is causing the job to abort. Can you please let me know where Classpath is set in datastage configuration.

Thanks....
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Where are you seeing what you posted - in the dsenv file or the job's log? For the former, just change it there. Otherwise, I'd suspect it is in the .profile of the executing user, or whatever userid is used to start the DataStage services.
-craig