Warning in the Oracle enterprise stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kennyapril
Participant

Warning in the Oracle enterprise stage

Post by kennyapril »

I have fields in the source A, B, C which has lengths 1,5,20.
I gave a definedstring value in the environmental parameters for null values given as destr1,destr7 which gives values 'U' for destr1 and 'UNKNOWN' for destr7.

I used these definedstring values as NVL in the source query which gives me warning as the length should be 4 times of the destr length like the length for field A should be 4 but given 1 and 80 for field C but given 20.

Below is the warning

When checking operator: When binding output interface field "DEP" to field "DEP":Implicit conversion from source type "string[max=28]" to result type "string[5]": Possible truncation of variable length string.

It gave 28 as I gave destr7 which has length 7

please suggest if any changes are required
Regards,
Kenny
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's just how the interaction with Oracle with NLS enabled works. Depending on version specify four times or three times the actual number of characters in the metadata. Or use a specific string_from_ustring specification to effect the transfer.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kennyapril
Participant

Post by kennyapril »

Thanks Ray.

please specify where do I use that function?

do we have any environmental parameter?
Regards,
Kenny
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Modify stage.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers