Use of microsoft excel directly in datastage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sahityab
Participant

Use of microsoft excel directly in datastage

Post by sahityab »

Hi
I would like to know if there is a way i could use .xlsx files in datastage without having to convert them to a csv file.i saw similar question on other threads and did see that there way to do it by creating dsn....Can some one please explain ....also please let me know if there is any other way to do it......currently the datastage verion we are uisng is 8.1...
Thanks in advance for your help
Sahitya
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's been discussed here quite a bit as your search should have revealed. Much of the talk, however, would have been specific to a Windows DataStage server. For UNIX, from what I understand you'll need Excel ODBC drivers... I have no clue if those are included or if they are something your company would need to purchase.

Regardless, the rules on how to access multiple worksheets or the cells themselves stay the same once you are connected.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sahityab
Participant

Post by sahityab »

[Hi
Did i understand you correctly that datastage can access excel files directly without having to convert them to comma seperated files but it is just a matter if those odbc drivers have been purchased by the company or not....if so how do i check if they have been purchased or not.....is that like an excel stage that i can see on the designed if purchased....Can you please explain
MarkB
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by MarkB »

If you had the proper ODBC drivers, you would use an ODBC stage to access the Excel data. Check out DataDirect http://www.datadirect.com/products/odbc ... urces.html for UNIX ODBC drivers.
sahityab
Participant

Post by sahityab »

Thanks Mark....