Microseconds issue in Timestamp column

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sailurayudu
Participant

Microseconds issue in Timestamp column

Post by sailurayudu »

Hi,

I have developed a parallel job in which the source dataset has three timestamp columns. The extended property for these columns are disabled in transformer stage to truncate microseconds into the target. The vierd thing is that one of the timestamp column is populating data with microseconds in the target where as the other two do not.
Now we have enabled the extended property for this timestamp column in transformer and could see that data is not populated with microseconds in target. :roll:
Can someone pls look into this and explain this very strange behaviour!!

Thanks,
Rayudu.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard.

You need to dump the score into the job log to determine why one field is behaving one way and the others differently. To do this add the environment variable APT_DUMP_SCORE as a job parameter and, when the job runs, set its value to True.

It may also be beneficial to inspect the C++ source code that was generated when the Transformer stage was compiled. This is stored in the RT_SCnnnn directory in your project, where nnnn is the job number from the DS_JOBS table.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Microseconds issue in Timestamp column

Post by SURA »

If you get some error (error message) someone can answer.

I trust you need to find the way to fix it and it might be because of small mistake happen somewhere!!

Step 1. Ensure that you have proper data in source

Step 2. Yes you confirmed, option enabled.

Step 3. Write it in a peek stage / file and cofirm it rather than load into a table.

Step 3 will ensure that nothing dropped in DS Level.

step 4. Ensure that you are loading it into a proper colum in your target.

DS User
sailurayudu
Participant

Post by sailurayudu »

@SURA:
I have already tried writing the data into sequential file. There i could see timestamp columns without microseconds, but the problem is when we write it into a dataset.
One important thing is that after transformer stage we have used many lookups where this timestamp column is a direct mapping from source to target (dataset), but we could only see this behaviour in only one timestamp column.
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SURA »

I don't know why / how you are getting value and that too for only one column and not to others!

Even though you have lookup in between, you can enable / disable micro second option in lookup stage too.

If you need micro sec, ensure that you enabled in all the stages from source till target. If you don't want, ensure that no where it is enabled and thats what i can offer.

Sorry

DS User
suse_dk
Participant

Post by suse_dk »

Are you sure that you actually have a microsecond value in the timestamp from the other two source?

Try to post examples of all three source timestamps.

Do you want the timestamp truncated as in all zeros (.000000) or as in not shown at all?

What length and scale have you set for the timestamps?

Post by sailurayudu »

The Three timestamp columns are CTCSTRGMTS, BUSINESSPROCESSGMTS, BUSINESSPROCESSENDGMTS. length is 26 and scale is 6 in source. Later the lenght and scale are taken blank in transformer and the extended properties are unchecked. Only BUSINESSPROCESSGMTS column is being populated with microseconds in the target whereas the other two dont.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

When do you propose to dump the score and inspect the source code as I requested?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.