Parallel transformer versus BASIC Transformer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sumesh.abraham
Participant

Parallel transformer versus BASIC Transformer

Post by sumesh.abraham »

I am trying to rewrite a server job to parallel job for performance improvement.
Currently the server job calls 3 server routines. I have 2 options here.

1. Create Parallel routines and call them in the Parallel transformer
2. Use a BASIC transformer and continue to use the
server routines. In this case 1 would need 2 BASIC transformers based on 2 constraints.

Would the usage of BASIC transformer in a parallel job would lower the performance considerably.
I am curious as the original ask is to better the performance of the current job.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

First off, it is not always the case that parallel is faster than server. For small data volumes a server job can be finished before a parallel job has completed its startup!

Second, whether "usage of BASIC transformer in a parallel job would lower the performance considerably" would depend on a number of factors:
(a) what do you mean by "performance"?
(b) what do you mean by "considerably"?
(c) what is your topology (in particular SMP versus MPP or grid)?

Third, why would you need two BASIC Transformer stages? Why couldn't you use just one?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sumesh.abraham
Participant

Post by sumesh.abraham »

Thanks Ray. I don't have a Premium membership currently. I may take it in the future. May I request to please add the missing parts of the reply. Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Premium membership is the means by which DSXchange is kept alive; it is used to pay the hosting and bandwidth costs of the site. I do not propose to undermine that.

Premium membership is not expensive - less than 30c (Rs 11) per day. Don't delay. You have already made 119 posts, so you can't claim there's doubt about the benefit, else you wouldn't have stayed here that long.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.