InfoSphere DataStage Balanced Optimization

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

michaeld
Premium Member
Premium Member

InfoSphere DataStage Balanced Optimization

Post by michaeld »

Has anybody used InfoSphere DataStage Balanced Optimization? If yes, how well is it implemented? i.e. is it buggy? Is it as good as Informatica's push down optimization? Based on what I've read in IBM's docs it seems like a quick and dirty implementation that is not integrated very well in to the tool's architecture and Designer.

Note: I'm looking for personal experience and not copy & paste from IBM's documentation.
Mike
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

In version 8.0.1 and 8.1 it was a stand alone add on to DataStage where it analysed a DataStage job and produced an enhanced version. In 8.5 it has been improved and is now part of the DataStage Designer. It is in some ways better than Informatica's version in that it lets you generate different versions of a job with different levels of push down without much extra development effort. So it can analyse a job and increase or decrease the level of push down - which is why it's called Balanced Optimiser.