import meta data from datastage designer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shartyag
Participant

import meta data from datastage designer

Post by shartyag »

Hi,
I want to import metadata for a sequential file in ds 8.1 version.
Now what I am trying is DESIGNER --> Import --> Table definitions -->Sequential file definitions and selecting the file wch I placed in UNIX directory
This file has data like this
PREFIX,CHAR,2,Version Number Component
CICAMC0,CHAR,4,Company Code
CVRCCWT,CHAR,6,Company ID of Trading Partner

where first field is field name, second data type, third length and fourth description

But I am not able to import it as when I go to import wizard a error shows like Invalid char or something.
I have tried a xml also but its not even getting read (I kept the data in same format in xml as well comma became tab)
Please advise how can I import metadata to a sequential file ????
AT EVERY STAGE THERE IS DATASTAGE!
nbalegar
Participant

Re: import meta data from datastage designer

Post by nbalegar »

You cant import the metadata for the format given above, it considers the rows as separate record, so if you have sample file then follow the steps which you have mentioned above to create the meatdata in datastage.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Import of that file's table definition will probably yield VarChar, VarChar, Integer and VarChar. It's treating the file's content as data, not as metadata. You can not import metadata from a file of that format using DataStage. You can, however, create the table definition manually.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.