SCD Why need to check the changes in non key columns?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

SCD Why need to check the changes in non key columns?

Post by SURA »

Hello All

Just a common question relates to SCD Type 2.

To find and implement (SCD type 2) we are using different stages like Change Capture, CDC, JOIN etc.

Question:
If the source provided a record (delta) means, there is some changes in the existing record. In that case why should not we close the existing record based on the SK and insert the new record irrespective of what ever the changes it may / may not have?

Why need to check the change values for the rest of the column?

Is there is any good reason to compare the non key columns (change values columns) to identify the changes and then do Insert / Update.

I need more clarity in this approach.

Thanks
DS User
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Why aren't you using SCD stage that does all that work for you?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: SCD Why need to check the changes in non key columns?

Post by chulett »

SURA wrote:Question:
If the source provided a record (delta) means, there is some changes in the existing record. In that case why should not we close the existing record based on the SK and insert the new record irrespective of what ever the changes it may / may not have?
That's an Architectural question in my mind. Some people get really irked by a "change record" that shows no changes. Some source systems can send false changes, so how much checking you do can depend on how much you trust the source. There's also a "subset" issue, if you are processing only a subset of the source columns and the only change is in a column you "don't care about" you probably don't want to process it.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers