Handling complex file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

akshu.agni
Participant

Handling complex file

Post by akshu.agni »

Hi ,

I have one complex file(CSV file). I want to view the data without using metadata. How can i do?? Please suggest me. I'm new to datastage.

Regards'
Akshu
Aks
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

If the file is on unix/linux you can use either the more or less commands from a command oprompt. If it's on windows you can use more from a command window or a text edit program.

To view the file from within the datastage client you will need some sort of metadata even if it's a single varchar column.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well... perhaps you could explain to us what "view the data without using metadata" means to you? What are you trying to accomplish? To me it means going out to the command line and using vi on the file. Or doing the same with a hex editor. Or perhaps defining it as one long string field in a Sequential File stage and then using the View Data option there, even though that technically takes 'metadata'.

Yet another option, bring it over to your client PC and open the file with Notepad or Excel.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Or use DataStage and declare the structure to be a single VarChar field with no quote character.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.