Define New Column

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

adityamohanty
Participant

Define New Column

Post by adityamohanty »

Hi Everybody,

Just Let me know apart from Modify Stage,Transformer Stage,Column Generator Stage, can we define any default new column in any stage in Data Stage.

Thanks In Advance
Aditya
Regards,
Aditya Prasad Mohanty
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Build stage, External Filter stage, just off the top of my head.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
adityamohanty
Participant

Define New Column

Post by adityamohanty »

Thnx for replying, I tried out but still it's not working.External Filter stage will create a new column for calculation. I want to pass a default value for that new column which is not possible in External Filter Stage.If you have any idea then please share with me.
Regards,
Aditya Prasad Mohanty
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Show us what you did in the External Filter stage's command. I would be fairly confident that one can, indeed, generate a different record schema on the output (and therefore can generate values that were not input).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

What is the problem in adding it via your transformer and putting in your default there as a hardcoded value? Or using a Column Generator?

I mean if you want esoteric ways to add columns you can use a row generator with a dummy key column and your new columns (defaults set in the metadata) and use a join stage to add it to your data stream.

We can throw complex, bad ways to add columns at you all day - why aren't you allowed to use the easy ways?
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
adityamohanty
Participant

Define New Column

Post by adityamohanty »

Hay Andy,
I totally agreed what you are trying to say, but as far my question is concerned,it was asked me in one interview that "What are the four stage, we can define new column with a defaukt value". I had answered
1. Transformer
2.Modify
3.Column Generator
4.????

Thats why curiously wanted to know about fourth one.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and Waiting for your answer as well
:)
Regards,
Aditya Prasad Mohanty
greggknight
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by greggknight »

Well maybe the interviewer wanted to know if you knew anything about Runtime Column Propagation for Parallel Jobs ??
"Don't let the bull between you and the fence"

Thanks
Gregg J Knight

"Never Never Never Quit"
Winston Churchill