How to generating XML hierarchical structure

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

XML should be "one long string". Only peoples 'need' that pretty printed structure, no consumer of the file will. However, the Formatted option in the stage will do something like that for you... emphasis on something like that. My advice? Don't bother, continue to let tools like IE (temporarily) do that for you automagically when you peek at it.
Last edited by chulett on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

From my POV, I would very much rather it be "one long string" for a simple reason: People will insert control characters where they don't belong. I recently had to deal with a line feed break in a message field because the person creating it (test file feed) didn't like the way it looked.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

It also takes up less space. I've seen REDICULOUSLY large xml documents that were reduced by a third in size just by removing blanks and carriage return line feeds. Important when you are shipping them all over the place in transactional packets.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
Hope
Participant

Post by Hope »

Thank you all