Estimate Lookup Size

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

tostay2003
Participant

Estimate Lookup Size

Post by tostay2003 »

Hi,

Is there any way to estimate the max possible size of data that can be used as secondary link for Lookup Stage.

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes. The size of each data type is documented (from memory in Chapter 2 of the Parallel Job Developer's Guide). Add these together for all the columns in the row that you're processing, then multiply by the number of rows in the reference data set.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
tostay2003
Participant

Post by tostay2003 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Yes. The size of each data type is documented (from memory in Chapter 2 of the Parallel Job Developer's Guide). Add these together for all the columns in the row that you're processing, then ...
Hi Ray,

Sorry I didn't post my question properly.

After calculating the size, how can we determine whether Lookup might work without memory issues.

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

How much memory do you have? How much scratchdisk in the nodes on which the Lookup stage operates? How many other stages are there in the job? How long is a piece of string? (Try it and see.)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.