cant figure out how to write out to varchar(1024) in sybase

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

james garner
Premium Member
Premium Member

cant figure out how to write out to varchar(1024) in sybase

Post by james garner »

Hi all,

I have to read a SQL server 2000 table which has a varchar field 1024 bytes long and i need to write it to a sybase table which has the same varchar field length (and is in production so i cannot change the field type). what i'm getting is the error "Sybase Server message 5702 (severity 10): The SQL Server is terminating this process." i've notice that it only errors on records where that 1024 byte long field has data. now i can view the data via a DRS stage but it's not letting me export the data via an sybaseocpx stage. i've tried changing the field type ina transform to a longvarchar but it still errors though with a different message:

APT_CombinedOperatorController,0: Fatal Error: Fatal: SQL Server returned error status value -6 from executing 'INSERT INTO APP_WORK.dbo.CTI_CRMS_RULE_CONFIG (CRMS_RULEID,CRMS_RULETYPE,CRMS_RULENAME,RULE_ACTIVE,RULE_ORDER,RULE_RULENAME,RULE_SCRIPT,RULE_COL,RULE_BUILD_DT,RULE_EFF_DT,RULE_TERM_DT ) VALUES (?,?,?,?,?,?,"ParamMarkerKeyw",?,?,?,?)'.

if i limit the field length in the transform to 254 it works..

so the question is, how can i export all of the fields data
?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can you lie and specify Long VarChar (1024) data type in your job?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
james garner
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by james garner »

I have done that but i get the 2nd error message. It's odd because i can view the data as varchar(1024) but then in the transform or straight to the export stage it chokes on the field length being greater than 254. when i import it as a longvarchar(1024) then it all works up to the export where i get the 2nd error.

Jim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The second error is being thrown by SQL Server, not by DataStage. Can you insert these long strings by any other means (for example manually)?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
james garner
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by james garner »

I am told that because of the limitations of the varchar field in sybase 12.5 the original sql developer was filling the field as follows:

sqlfield=sqlfield+"filling the varchar field with 255 chr chunks at a time"

he says that even though you can define a varchar over 255 chrs you can only fill it with 255 chrs at a time..

as a test i changed the target field from varchar(1024) to text() which allows 214meg chars, reimported the schema into DS and i am still getting an error:

APT_CombinedOperatorController,0: Fatal Error: Fatal: SQL Server returned error status value -6 from executing 'INSERT INTO APP_WORK.dbo.CTI_CRMS_RULE_CONFIG (CRMS_RULEID,CRMS_RULETYPE,CRMS_RULENAME,RULE_ACTIVE,RULE_ORDER,RULE_RULENAME,RULE_SCRIPT,RULE_COL,RULE_BUILD_DT,RULE_EFF_DT,RULE_TERM_DT ) VALUES (?,?,?,?,?,?,"ParamMarkerKeyw",?,?,?,?)'. Consult the Transact-SQL User's Guide or SQL Server Reference Manual for a listing of return status values.

i noticed that in the error it puts "ParamMarkerKeyw" in the field at question...

thanks for your time on this one..

Jim