Using FTP Enterprise stage for ftp'ing files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

adi_2_chaos
Participant

Using FTP Enterprise stage for ftp'ing files

Post by adi_2_chaos »

Hi,

I need to ftp files from a different server. The conventional method is obviously to be using scp/ftp from the command line. but my requirement is to be able to accomplish this using the FTP stage in DS. The source files are not normal text files - they are encrypted. To my understanding, while using the FTP stage (for "getting" file from a diff server), I need to specify the schema of the target file. But in case, it is encrypted, I wouldnt be able to do so. Is there any other mechanism by which I can perform the task without having the Datastage to parse through the file?

THanks,
Sriram
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Use a dummy schema. You can declare the file to be FTP'd as having one column with fixed length and no line terminators. Write what you've transferred with same settings into a file and you've completed, in a very roundabout way compared with a straight binary FTP command-line, a binary FTP from DataStage.

I would highly recommend changing your requirements.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Stick with command line file transfer utilities for things of that nature.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The FTP stage types do not FTP files. They transfer file contents directly into the job design.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
agpt
Participant

Post by agpt »

ray.wurlod wrote:The FTP stage types do not FTP files. They transfer file contents directly into the job design. ...
So it meas Ray we can't use this stage to transfer file from one server to other?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

No, that is not what Ray or I said. As written earlier, you transfer data to your DataStage job via the FTP stage then write a file from the job.
agpt
Participant

Post by agpt »

ArndW wrote:No, that is not what Ray or I said. As written earlier, you transfer data to your DataStage job via the FTP stage then write a file from the job. ...
IT means not directly to file on other server.

Thanks a lot for explanation Arnd!!!!