TNS could not resolve error!!

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

allavivek
Premium Member
Premium Member

TNS could not resolve error!!

Post by allavivek »

Hi All,

I transferrred my job from one project to other new project in same server..and this is first time iam running a job in this project..

i was getting following error....

Stored_Procedure_93,0: Error: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

Stored_Procedure_93,0: Error occurred in call to ORPHCallActivePluginInitialize().

Server is same for old and new project....job ran succesfully for old project....do we need to configure any thing for new project in same server....

Any suggestions...
kwwilliams
Participant

Re: TNS could not resolve error!!

Post by kwwilliams »

Have you set the TNS_ADMIN or ORACLE_HOME variable as it is set in the project you migrated from?
allavivek
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: TNS could not resolve error!!

Post by allavivek »

where can i check wheather they are set or not???

thanks...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Look in your job log. An early event in a job run (typically the second entry) lists the environment variable values that were used.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
allavivek
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by allavivek »

Hi ray,

i can see,

ORAHOME and ORACLE_HOME variable set...

but there is no TNS_ADMIN variable...

where should i set this and what value should i must define..

thanks....
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:? These are not project level settings, they are typically defined in the dsenv file and thus apply to all projects on the server. And TNS_ADMIN is only required if your tnsnames.ora file is not in the 'standard' location - $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin.

Something else is going on, me thinks.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
thanush9sep
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by thanush9sep »

Not the same case for me, but might help

1. In my case I created an entry in the tnsnames.ora using the login I use to login to DataStage and to Unix (for example in the following path apsdev/app/tnsadmin etc)

2. when I used the SQLPLUS option in UNIX and gave username@SID and password, I was able to work with SQL.

3. However I was not able to connect to table from DataStage. I raised a request to my Admin and he said to add a user_defined variable in the administrator as TNS_ADMIN=apsdev/app/tnsadmin

Guess what it is working for me now and I don't know why and give some answer to it.

Even if I change the name of TNS_ADMIN to ACD_AMIN it still works..
Still I don't know why.

Hopefully I will try to bring this issue in a separate Topic later..

Try adding a variable TNS_ADMIN and point to your local tnsnames.ora and let as the result
Regards
LakshmiNarayanan
kwwilliams
Participant

Post by kwwilliams »

Craig is correct, TNS_ADMIN or ORACLE_HOME could be set at the project level and many do set it there, but not all people. Because you moved to another project and began receiving the error it led me to believe that this is where your problem may exist.

Do you have access to the Administrator Client? If so compare the value for ORACLE_HOME in the roject Vairables in your new and

If you look at the directory where your ORACLE_HOME variable is set, then go to the subdirectory /network/admin/. You should see your tnsnames.ora.
allavivek
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by allavivek »

I checked the paths they were same as in old project...

i used a table in another job of new project its working fine...but for stored procedure its giving this error....
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Then you don't have a generic "tnsnames" problem but rather something specific to the proc. So... how are you calling it? Are you certain of the tns entry you are using there?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
thanush9sep
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by thanush9sep »

"Even if I change the name of TNS_ADMIN to ACD_AMIN it still works.. "

sorry for giving a above false statement.
Only if I give TNS_ADMIN it works and not ACD_AMIN.
Regards
LakshmiNarayanan